Friday, January 16, 2009

Lab 1 - 1.16.09

1) I did not initially enter IU as an education major. I always considered education, but never committed. I was very fortunate to have some great instructors throughout my school life, specifically in high school. They were the smartest, most articulate and most interesting individuals I have ever met; they inspired my drive to learn. It was not until Thanksgiving break during Fall '08 that I decided to commit to education. I visited with a few of my old teachers and their passion for their profession really convinced me that I would enjoy education. I always have enjoyed working with kids; I've taught swim lessons to ages 6-12 over the past two years.

2) "The Shift" is definitely a changing force in modern education; however, I do not believe it is the "end-all-be-all" that others consider it as. Like any change in society, culture, etc the "shift" will require educators to adapt to a new minded student with new interests and learning habits. However, I do not believe that the traditional education institution will change. During our first lecture, a few of my group members claimed that technological developments will eradicate the traditional classroom. Online classes have been available for nearly a decade and even in the most relevant area, secondary education, has its effect been negligable. The school (K-12) as a social institution will always remain.
Teachers will have to adapt to new technology to remain relevent to students that have different upbringings and expectations than our own. Delivery techniques may change as educators search for the most relevance; however, the diversity of students will ensure that, still, a broad range of teaching strategies will be required to reach each student. I feel that the "shift" will require educators to incorporate additional learning on their own part to remain on par with technological development; but, technology will not supercede "traditional" teaching/lecture techniques. Technological development is not a replacement, but merely an aid that should be incorperated like developments in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment